Updated April 19, 2021
Available Now! The Softball Journey Book.
Below is a description of the book. The release date is April 19th, 2021. Available on Amazon.com in Kindle and paperback.
Greg Cruthers wrote the book he wished he and his daughter had when they were on their Softball Journey.
Inside you’ll find:
- Greg and his daughter Hayley’s Softball Journey experience from the youth league, through school softball, the emotional college recruiting process, the college years, and the end.
- All levels of the game: Recreational, School, Travel, and College Softball.
- Costs: The cost of travel softball - divided into two parts - the younger and the high school years.
- You’ll learn how to save time and money by learning what is and is not necessary, how to avoid money wasting situations, and how to save money on travel expenses.
- He’ll show you how to help your daughter get recruited, what works, what doesn’t, how to contact college coaches, what camps to do and how to work them, what skills videos are and how to use them, and about visits, offers, and commitments.
- Scholarships: The types of scholarships (academic, athletic, and others as well as preferred walk-on’s, partials, and full-rides), the likelihood of receiving any, how they work, and to manage your expectations.
- Tryouts: What tryouts are and the differences between school and travel softball tryouts, how to work tryouts, how to find a good team/club, how to handle failure, how to shine, and how to spot potential problems that you’ll definitely want to stay clear from.
- Tournaments, Round Robins, and Friendlies: What they are, how they work, which one’s matter, and the what the names mean – Exposure, Top 100, Premier, Invitational, etc.
- Coaches and Instructors: The differences between them, how to find quality instruction, how to determine whether your daughter is getting good instruction, and the costs.
- Parenting: Are you a helicopter parent? Do you coddle your baby girl? You’ll learn what makes college coaches run away from your daughter, what Parent Goggles are, why you should avoid The Talks on the drives home, and the importance of your daughter taking breaks.
- Competition and Playing Time: You’ll see how the two work together, why the philosophy of your daughter’s coach matters, and why you should know it before accepting a spot on the team.
- College and beyond: You’ll learn what to expect when your daughter heads to college, how your lives will change, what being a college softball player is really like, what it’s like as the parent, about medical issues, and changes in communication habits.
- Transferring to another College: You’ll learn why player’s transfer, about JUCO transfers, and the difficulty and process of transferring from an NCAA college to another.
- Life after Softball: You’ll get a glimpse of what it’s like for you and your daughter after the Softball Journey has ended.
Greg Cruthers' Softball Journey will help you and your daughter with your Softball Journey.